About Me

My photo
Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales, United Kingdom
Bit of a long tooth IT Manager - been and had a few hobbies, as for the title, I make glass beads, its Called Lampwork, I brew my own Beer, its called fun and I take photos, thats the oldest hobby, since I was 16 or so. My first camera was a Zenith E - then a Pentax KR to go digital after a long stint with a Pentax Super A. Now a Nikon D5200 and a D7100 with a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro lens to play with amongst others. Please note all photos used are my own and I retain full copyright to all of them. Thank you for respecting digital ownership

Sunday 24 November 2013

A day at Slimbridge WWT



It was a cold day but a bright sunny one, so we decided to go to Slimbridge WWT and take our eldest daughter, Eleanor.

As you may imagine loads of photo opportunities but I cannot say I am really happy with any of the resulting shots, despite the light being good I had problems pushing the shutter speed with the aperture I wanted coupled with a low iso – ah well future rule – if you carry the tripod – use the damn thing !

Anyway, hand feeding was done, the moorhen has a gammy leg so was happy to sit down to eat , sweet.

 I saw it around the same place last time we were here, lots of people feed it so it survives, in the wild it would be long gone so rather nice it is looked after. 

The mallard on its front at their feet had a go at jumping for the grain, being greedy, none of them can say they are not well fed ! The landing was less than graceful.

 It was feeding time with the otters, these are American river otters – although they now have evidence of UK otters on the site – a dog otter south end and at least one female to the north so a bridal suite (holt) has been built within the reserve and they await developments.

The Kingfisher hide allows good views of a couple of feeders and the local birds make good use of the opportunity. A few nice- ish studies of our ‘ common’ birds.
Male Goldfinch

Male Chaffinch

Great Tit

As can be expected the hides give good views of visitors and the captive birds give good views with no need to get muddy or use long lenses. I can cope with that, on a cold day I don’t really want to creep in the undergrowth and I don’t have the silly money for a mega lens
Lapwings

mixed bag

Eider male seeing off a competitor

Eider male head detail

Flamin bingos- Flamingoes

Comb billed duck - Sarkidiornis melanotos



This is the back of a pintail - the feather patterns are really lovely
Pintail detail
The cafĂ© on site is good and an enjoyable lunch was had by all – a great day, most enjoyable,  some reasonable photos but many missed opportunities so a return visit will be planned in the neat future.

Last but not least a very small fungi - would not be me if no macro shots - its on deadwood and you can see the ice bottom righ - sunny but cold !
Calocera cornea

No comments:

Post a Comment