About Me

My photo
Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales, United Kingdom
Bit of a long tooth IT Manager - been and had a few hobbies, as for the title, I make glass beads, its Called Lampwork, I brew my own Beer, its called fun and I take photos, thats the oldest hobby, since I was 16 or so. My first camera was a Zenith E - then a Pentax KR to go digital after a long stint with a Pentax Super A. Now a Nikon D5200 and a D7100 with a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro lens to play with amongst others. Please note all photos used are my own and I retain full copyright to all of them. Thank you for respecting digital ownership

Monday 2 September 2013

1st September

Took a trip out to Merthyr Mawr to see what we could find, it was warm and sunny with a bit of a breeze, it is a large sand dune nature reserve near Ogmore, long time ago it was part of a single dune system that stretched all the way to Kenfig see here for details -

http://www.ccgc.gov.uk/landscape--wildlife/protecting-our-landscape/special-landscapes--sites/protected-landscapes/national-nature-reserves/merthyr-mawr.aspx

It was a pleasant afternoon with a few nice photos taken, we found one spot  under the trees with a few shrooms






This one seems to be Death Cap - Amanita phalloides from my investigations - deadly poisonous - no cure, nice.
















This one is Brown Roll Rim - Paxillus involutus, also not good for you, you may live but may not want to while it works its way through.















This is a Russula sanguinea  - no common name - not as bad as the others but you probably dont want to eat it, pretty though








a friendly little place with so much scope for 'dont get mad get even'  only joking

Anyway, moving on in the sunshine looking for other photogenic subjects I think this is my favourite of the day, right by the side of the path


Common Lizard - Lacerta vivipara, the bramble flower gives you a idea of the size  - it was curled up on one leaflet of the bramble leaf - sweet

then of course there are the butterflies - good old Common Blue , never fails to deliver when you want a photo, so long as you have patience and a slow approach













Common Blue mating - Polyommatus icarus

Now heres a Jolly Green Giant, was a bit amazed at just how large these guys are 40-55mm



Great Green Bush Cricket - Tettigonia viridissima






he was not happy to sit still and as they can bite I decided not to hold him up for a better photo

the last nice spot was a orb spider dining on a grasshopper, not nice for the grasshopper but a reasonable photo opportunity



No comon name but latin - Araneus quadratus
The quadratus is about the identifying 4 pale spots on the abdomen, the colour and other markings are variable







in all a great walk with some interesting spots - nothing rare - shrooms aside, not really rare but uncommon,  but nice.

I was actually looking for Autumn Ladies Tresses, I photographed them there about 25 years ago on slide film - pre digital - so I would like to get them again.  A very pretty flower but not easy to find - look it up to see why !



No comments:

Post a Comment