About Me

My photo
Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales, United Kingdom
Bit of a long tooth IT Manager - been and had a few hobbies, as for the title, I make glass beads, its Called Lampwork, I brew my own Beer, its called fun and I take photos, thats the oldest hobby, since I was 16 or so. My first camera was a Zenith E - then a Pentax KR to go digital after a long stint with a Pentax Super A. Now a Nikon D5200 and a D7100 with a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro lens to play with amongst others. Please note all photos used are my own and I retain full copyright to all of them. Thank you for respecting digital ownership

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Conundrum - well for the first couple anyway

When is a Hoverfly not a Hoverfly ?

When its a Soldier fly - took this one last year down in Dorset - thought it was a hoverfly but its actually a Soldier fly, Oxycera rara - nice though, and goes to prove the wasp mimic act does not always work !



In this case - its no longer a hoverfly, its a wasps dinner! and 10 seconds later so was the other one !


This one is a common Hover,  Marmalade Hoverfly - Episyrphus balteatus, one of the few with a 'common' name



One of my favourites Xanthogramma pedissequum, the range of Hoverflies is amazing, many are bee mimics and a lot are wasp mimics, the larval stage feed hevily on greenfly - whats not to like !


Just one more, Scaeva selenitica, thats enough for now - will put up a few more another day


No comments:

Post a Comment