About Me

My photo
Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales, United Kingdom
Bit of a long tooth IT Manager - been and had a few hobbies, as for the title, I make glass beads, its Called Lampwork, I brew my own Beer, its called fun and I take photos, thats the oldest hobby, since I was 16 or so. My first camera was a Zenith E - then a Pentax KR to go digital after a long stint with a Pentax Super A. Now a Nikon D5200 and a D7100 with a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro lens to play with amongst others. Please note all photos used are my own and I retain full copyright to all of them. Thank you for respecting digital ownership

Monday 13 July 2015

Fill in Flash off camera.



Still playing with the flash set up and camera – not happy with it yet, work in progress. I am getting some interesting results but having to adapt and change things on the fly, I suspect I may well have to do that ongoing for some time.

There is so much variance in backgrounds and light between shots given the subject matter, insects in foliage that it is not going to be a simple task. The ttl flash/camera link should cope at some level but not across the range I seem to be shooting while using ‘fixed’ manual settings for shutter speed, ISO and f stop.

Some work to correct under or in some cases over exposure in Elements with the RAW file but my preference is to get it as close as ‘right’ as I can in camera first so any adjustments are minor and more cosmetic than technical.

Anyway a few shots from the last week playing with the new flash and adapting the use and setup as I go along. 

My apologies, I can never get this stupid software to evenly space things no matter how I try or retry !

An Emerald Damselfly



Okay hands up here a few Hoverlies, not go the names to hand but they are all latin - fascinating critters and a lot more 'types' than you would think ! I will simply show a few and leave it at that. While bees are our most important pollinators they are closely followed by Hoverflies so give them a thought - they are valuable to our ecosystem









 One in flight - they hover very close and then just as you get the camera onto them and focus they dart off to the side, the only way i have got this type of shot is watch them and pre focus - they tend to come back to the same place often so you can grab a shot then



its not a good day out without a spider or a beetle - in this case a crab spider 


and a longhorn beetle



There are always butterflies - in this case a Comma 

 A Small Skipper


 and finally a Common Lizard, this was as close as I could get - full frame on my macro lens


No comments:

Post a Comment